Wednesday 3 September 2014

WWW Wednesday

 WWW Wednesday

Today's post is borrowing an idea from a lovely blog I found recently, http://michelletheescapist.blogspot.co.uk/ and hosted by http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/

What are you currently reading?

What did you recently finish reading?

What do you think you’ll read next?

What are you currently reading?


My book of the moment is Murder in the Embassy by the suitable mysterious sounding “Diplomat”. This book was first published in 1933 and is part of Harraps Shilling Library (those were the days for book prices!). The book is obviously now out of print, and a quick look at ebay reveals that copies nowadays sell for about £30! So you could make a bit of profit from your original shilling ;)

I borrowed this from Barbican Library (as part of the City of London libraries), and it was part of their great selection of vintage crime. 

The blurb: 

In a stifling day a small party of high Government officials have come secretly to the Japanese Embassy in Washington to sign an agreement of world importance. They sit waiting for Prince Hojo and Lord Robert Murray, the British Charge d'Affaires, who are talking in the room above. Alarmed by their non-appearance, they investigate - to find the Prince dead and the Englishman unconscious with a poker in his hand. Everything points to Lord Robert being the murderer.

Tyler, the Chief of the Bureau of the Current Political Intelligence, asks the Japanese Ambassador for twenty-four hours before the news is made public and the world's peace endangered. During that time no one is allowed to leave the Embassy.

As the hours pass, the nerves of the actors in the drama become frayed, and startling developments take place. But Tyler's methods are at last crowned with success, and two murders are brought home to the real criminal just in time to avert disaster.


My thoughts: 

The idea of solving a case in 24 hours struck me a good one. This concept, of solving a crime within a limited and short time frame, is not a new one but has stood the test of time. 

The fact that the whole storyline takes place in a clandestine environment is one that appeals to me. I love the idea of all these goings-on can happen behind closed doors, and we mere mortals are completely oblivious to them. Who knows, perhaps there have even been a few real life mysteries in embassies around the world! 

What did you recently finish reading?

Having had some unexpected spare time on my hands, I have managed to get through quite a few books recently!


The Shooting in the Shop and The Poisoning in the Pub (2010), both by Simon Brett

Admittedly these aren't vintage crime, but they are both crime nonetheless! I am a big fan of Simon Brett and his Fethering mysteries. I have been reading the whole series hopelessly out of order, but as each book is a stand-alone story it doesn't make too much of a difference. The contrasting characters of cool Carole and hippy Jude really make the books, and I found both of these books equally gripping. 

Flight 714 (1968) by Herge

Does Tintin count as crime fiction? This story definitely does! Tintin, along with his erstwhile companions Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus are all on their way to Sydney when they become involved in a kidnapping plot. The book features the weirdest storyline I have ever come across in Tintin, involving mind control, aliens and mass hypnosis. If I had to describe it in one word it would be: odd!
If you are a fan of Tintin, then you will enjoy it however it is one of the weakest in the series.


What do you think you’ll read next?

 Next up on my reading list are:

Hopefully a better story than Flight 714!
The Labours of Hercules (1947) by Agatha Christie
Tintin and the Picaros (1976) by Herge
Death of a Millionaire by  (1925) G.D.H. and M. Cole - this will be reviewed in an upcoming blog post, as one of my "Forgotten Fiction" posts.









If you have a WWW Wednesday post on your blog, please leave the link as a comment below and I will check it out!




7 comments:

  1. Murder in the Embassy sounds great. For a while I was reading Margaret Truman's books like Murder in the CIA.

    Hope you'll visit me at http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2014/09/wwwwednesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment! I have seen some Margaret Truman books in the library, will have to pick one up next time!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love these old crime novels (and Tintin is great too) Here is my WWW http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/www-wednesday-september-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever be too old for Tintin! Thank you for the comment and I look forward to reading your blog :-)

      Delete
  3. I look forward to reading more of your posts - I love the idea of a combination of Simon Brett, Agatha Christie and TinTin....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any Simon Brett but I like the look of them! Where should I start? Thanks for visiting me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest 'The Body on the Beach', as it is the first in a series known as The Fethering Mysterious. It is a really funny book in places, and will introduce you to all the main characters! :) Hope this helps!

      Delete